GPS trackering is indeed an amazing technology to spot your specific location, to find a particular place, and to reach a destination safely.
But just like any other technology this to has some adverse impacts. What we mean to say is that anyone can abuse this technology and track your location and cause some harm to you.
That’s why it’s important to know when you are being tracked and take adequate measures to stay safe.
But before that let’s discuss what you should understand when you are being tracked. Either someone doesn’t trust you and want to track you or someone is seeking to take advantage of you.
Dangers of Tracking People Without Their Permission
Let us tell you that this is an ill practice and frowned upon by the law why you shouldn’t. That’s why you shouldn’t indulge in such illegal activities and track someone out.
If you need to know someone’s specific location, simply call and ask that person. If you still don’t rely on his or her words you may cross that person later or adopt any alternative method.
Further, you may reach that location and prove him or her false. But it’s better not to track the person’s location because this can put you in a wrong position.
If you are suspicious and getting some odd messages or emails, it is better not to ignore them and read those carefully!
Use Extra Caution Online
Most often we consider these to be spam emails and messages and hit the delete button quickly. But sometimes it may so happen that your mobile phone is getting a hint that the device is being tracked by a stranger.
This compels the technology to drop you a message. This is a warning which will inform you that your location is being tracked. Ignoring such a message can let you to fatal danger.
That’s why to keep an eye on such odd messages or emails. If you find anything unusual or that someone is trespassing into your privacy, make sure to contact the cybercrime department as soon as possible!
How to Tell if Your Own Phone is Tracking You
If you are not a tech geek you may have some troubles with the active and inactive apps on your mobile phone. Sometimes you may find that a new app has been launched into your mobile without your permission.
This may happen due to two reasons. Firstly you may have mistakenly touched any spam link or the install button placed next to any app in the play store.
Also, it may automatically get launched during downloading other files from a third-party site.
These third-party sites are spam and seek to store cache information. That way; the browser identifies your device’s location and then to track your location.
To stay safe you shouldn’t download or install any app (or any file for that matter) from a third-party website.
Also, make sure to turn off the downloading permission from any inauthentic site. And last but not the least, adopt some tech expertise. This is extremely crucial in this age of digital Darwinism.
Dangers of Unknown Mobile Phone Apps
You may have noticed that nowadays whenever you want to download an app; it seeks your device’s location. The moment you hit the “I agree” button you are giving the app your location information.
That’s why you need to be cautious about which app you are downloading.
Giving location access to any random app may intrude into your privacy. Therefore read the reviews, determine whether you really need this app and only then go on to install it. This is the most applicable for any gaming or entertainment app.
According to a recent study people most often download and install such apps during leisure without spending some time to consider whether they really need this app. This leads them to fall into the trap. So you better be careful.
If YOU are the one looking to do the tracking, then there are a wide variety of mobile phone tracking apps you can download onto your targets phone to track their location, behavior and phone usage.
These types of apps usually require logging into the device and are thus best for parents to monitor children, but they could be used to track other people as well.
How to Detect a Physical GPS Tracking Device
If you stressed on thinking that modern technology has only the adverse effects and your privacy is compromised then let us tell you that you are going wrong. Of course, there are some malpractices but that doesn’t mean you cannot escape these.
Here we will mention some key ways through which you can detect a GPS tracker and get rid of it.
If you want to detect a hidden GPS tracker on your car, you may check out the following pointers:
Inspect the Undercarriage & Bumpers
Firstly perform a car exterior inspection. Here you should turn on the Flashlight and check the areas like the wheels, the windows, the doors, the roof and the entire exterior parts of the vehicles.
Remember that the tracker can be made to look dirty. This may escape your eyesight. So be careful enough to minutely inspect all the areas.
Also bear in mind that these trackers can be placed in a very open and easy to reach locations.
And, most often than not; people tend to overlook such areas considering these to be a very easy spot for a spy to hide the GPS tracker. But that’s not the case at all. Therefore be careful while conducting a car exterior inspection.
Inspect the Interior Thoroughly
Once you are done inspecting the car exterior now move on to the interior. Check the seats very carefully and also the dashboard. Be very careful not to overlook the potential tracker hiding spot at the corners.
You may also check the seat belt. Remember, with the advancement of technology, modern GPS trackers are extremely powerful but relatively small in size. That’s why these can be hidden in any and every little place. So make sure to check thoroughly.
If you are not satisfied with your search or want to be further assured that there is no GPS tracker installed in your car, you may seek professional assistance.
The experienced technicians can help you to find out such a hidden GPS tracker but they are also usually quite expensive, with hourly rates ranging from $100 to $200/hr.
A practice in visual sweeps will help you to find a GPS tracker very easily.
Basically, here various visual information like spatial frequency, orientation, color and luminance are stirred in the sweeps.
If you can make your brain identify these shapes quite effortlessly, you can grow a keen observation skill that is important in finding out a GPS tracker.
If you want to me extra sure you’ve scanned completely for tracking devices and don’t want to just trust your eyes you can invest in a legitimate radio frequency identification device that will sniff out any and all trackers.
Best Tools for Detecting GPS Trackers in 2020:
Below are some of the most popular, best selling, and most versatile options that are currently available for purchase for the general public.
These devices, combined with a thorough manually search should be able to find 98% of all tracking devices.
Spy-Hawk: Law enforcement-grade GPS detector
- NEWEST MODEL RELEASE - SPY HAWK PRO-10G COUNTER SURVEILLANCE BUG SWEEP is the # 1 SELLING PORTABLE SWEEP UNIT to locate ACTIVE CELL PHONE & GPS TRACKER DETECTION - Offers Outstanding Electronic RF Signal Detection - Sensitive...
- UPGRADED 10GHz WIDEST DETECTION RANGE OF ANY HANDHELD PORTABLE BUG SWEEP: Spy Hawk PRO-10G Counter Surveillance PRO Sweep Deluxe bug detector has one of the highest detection ranges compared to all RF signal detectors in the...
- DETECTS ALL ACTIVE TRANSMITTING SOURCES of BUGS, WIRELESS MICS AND HIDDEN CAMERAS: This electronic bug sweeper quickly and effectively detects everything from spy cameras, wiretaps, real time GPS trackers, telephone transmitters,...
- These are suitable to place on the vehicles.
- It can identify the exact location of a GPS tracker when the device is not moving.
- It alerts the users if the tracking device comes to a nearby range.
- Aerial and satellite images provide a minute to a view of the device’s location.
- Crows long durable battery.
- The worldwide office is available.
- SMS and email alert make it convenient for the users to learn if there’s any GOS tracker near them.
It may seem to be a bit expensive for some people.
Eilimy RF Detector: The most affordable multi-function GPS and camera detector
- The Eilimy G319 is an effective signal detector that helps you detect various sources around you and detect various error signal transmission devices such as hidden cameras and GPS trackers through signal fluctuations. Ultra-high...
- Can be used in offices, important business negotiations, confidential meetings, homes, bathrooms, cars, hotels, locker rooms, etc. There is a need to prevent a variety of environments that are subject to monitoring, eavesdropping...
- Easy to use, small and portable.The detector is an upgraded version of the old G318. The new G319 is equipped with a more powerful built-in battery to improve working standby time, a new upgraded advanced chip manufacturing...
- It can detect the hidden wireless or wired camera equipment magnetic field and radio wave.
- It can easily detect any standby bug or state magnetic locator.
- It has a wide range of frequency detection and an adjustable threshold.
- This device is the most affordable one.
- Buzzer and vibrate mode can alert users without causing any sound pollution.
- This is ideal for automatic detection function you can eliminate various risks. From identifying any fraud to catch videotaping or eavesdropping, the device is very efficient.
- It may not detect a tracker beyond a close range.
JMDHKK RF Detector: The best selling anti-eavesdropping detector
- 【Main Feature】Can Detect 1.2G/2.4G/5.8G Wireless camera ,hidden wireless camera and wireless eavesdropping；Can Detect all of bugs and locators with Mobile 2G/3G/4G Card,Detector range:1MHz-8GHz.
- 【Ultra High Sensitivity】Built with upgrade chip set,JMDHKK signal detector is more stable and accurate with strong anti-interference,we continuously upgrade our product with up-to date technology and chip set.
- 【Multiple Functional】JMDHKK signal detector is 3 in 1 detector that helps to find hidden wireless and wired camera,unwanted GPS tracker,wireless wiretapping device,and sense electromagnetic leakage from microwaves.It provides...
- It can be used in various private areas like hotels, meeting rooms, bedrooms, meeting venues, confidential laboratories and so on. It helps to monitor any personal mobile phones that are being tracked. It can also monitor any suspicious signal source surrounding a device. This device is ideal to protect personal security and trade secrets.
- It uses advanced machinery and it has various modes like magnetic field scan, radio field signal identification and even more. It has a powerful inference capability and high sensitivity. It can specifically identify various trackers, GPS locators, eavesdroppers, wireless camera, and various other tools.
- It is powerful enough to identify any wireless signal as well as magnetic and radio field signal producing technology. You can easily eliminate all the suspicious risks by running a varied range of detection within a few minutes.
- The device is lightweight and it has a simple interface. Therefore you can access the device quite easily through a very few intuitive buttons. Here some special filters can be utilized in order to scan the invisible wireless camera that is hidden inside a vehicle or room.
- Once a strong radiation source gets detected the device readily notifies you with a powerful beep sound, vibration or even through a pilot light. However, the simplicity of the device enables you to modify its settings in order to narrow down the detection range.
- Due to its lightweight and small size, it can be carried from one place to another quite conveniently.
- Due to its simplicity in design, the non-tech people too can easily access it.
- The device has high sensitivity and can detect any wireless camera or GPS tracker quite easily.
- This is one of the best selling GPS tracker devices available in the market
- Though it’s easy to detect any wireless camera by using this GPS tracker, it may face a tough time in locating a wired camera.
Optional Life: LED-Assisted Extendable Mirror
- Rectangular Mirror Size:2.5"*1.7" Extended Length: 34" Collapsed Length: 7.5"
- Telescoping mirror has 2 extra bright LED lights facilitate the inspection of hard-to-see and hard-to reach areas
- Not only is the mirror telescoping and lighted, it also features a 360 degree swivel double ball joint for extra viewing capabilities
- LED lights to illuminate dark and dirty automobile undercarriages
- Not dependent on detecting radio waves
- Allows you to inspect a car without ahving to crawl around on the ground
- Compact and easily mobile
- Simple solution (simple is usually better than over-complicated)
- Ergonomic grip
- 360 degree rotation ability
- Large mirror surface area for wide viewing angle
- Batteries to power LEDs add weight
- Can’t detect trackers it can’t see
Zoto Snake Camera: An industrial endoscope for checking air vents, cracks, inside bumper/plastics
- [Upgraded Monitor] ZOTO Industrial Endoscope takes 4.5-inch Full HD color LCD digital designed, the resolution up to 1080P, 2 times magnification, support image capture, and video recording. Multi-function setting button and...
- [Waterproof Probe and Tube] The waterproof level of the camera and probe is up to IP67. 5 Meter Semi-Rigid Tube and a probe with 8 adjustable LED lights. In addition, there is also an LED flashlight. These give you the best Use...
- [2600mah Built-in battery] Large battery capacity and USB rechargeable. The borescope can work for up to 4.5 hours. Operating temperature: 332°to113°F(0°to45°c).
- It lets you zoom any image to get a clear view.
- You need not install any unreliable 3rd party app or connect your phone to a vulnerable Wi-Fi to use this device.
- This is an amazing tool to inspect the air vent, aircraft and boat engines, pipelines, drains, HVAC units and others.
- This has a small size and shape so that it can get fit into a narrow path and find out any GPS tracker inside this.
- It’s not only enough to protect your vehicle or mobile but its equally or perhaps more important to know if there is any GPS tracker fit into the narrow construction.
- Not all the devices are fit to get into these narrow pathways and identify a GPS tracker. This is where this particular device is a sure winner.
- Nothing as such, this is one of the most thorough digitally-assisted visual detection devices.
What to do if you detect a GPS tracker
Once you find a hidden GPS tracker inside your vehicle or room or any other place, you need to take an adequate measure.
Most of these GPS trackers are powered by a Lithium battery and are generally held on by tape and magnet.
In such cases, all you need is to pull it out and make it loose to make the battery inactive. That way the GPS tracker will lose its potential and it cannot perform adequately. Your job is done at just that.
Again some modern GPS trackers are rolled into a cigarette lighter socket or a diagnostic connector in the same manner as depicted earlier.
Here you need to remove the plugin and you are done. After that, the GPS tracker will be inactive and it will not be able to track your location anymore.
However, sometimes you may find that that GPS tracker is hard and strongly attached under the ground. You may cut the wire to discontinue the trackers’ performance.
But we recommend you not to try your hand and better seek professional assistance. They are experienced and efficient enough to handle such a situation and protect your privacy.
Also, make it a point to detach and throw away the GPS tracker. It’s better to destroy the device.
We hope the article has provided you with a clear insight into how to detect a GPS tracker and protect your security.
Have you got an opinion? Share with us and let the word spread.
Last update on 2020-07-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API