The term “stun gun” gets thrown around a lot, particularly when talking about law enforcement and security. But what exactly is the definition of a stun gun, how do they work, what is the difference between stun guns and tasers, and “which variety can I legally buy” are all questions this article answers.
So, What are Stun Guns?
The stun gun is a non-lethal tool designed to momentarily immobilize a target, hence the term “stun”. The immobilization is temporary and designed to either stop an attack, or incapacitate a suspect long enough for them to be restrained via traditional tools like handcuffs.
These electromagnetic devices are also commonly used by the public for protecting themselves.
They deliver a significant electric shock aimed at momentarily disrupting the muscle functions and inflicting muscle pain without causing any significant injury.
These are ideal to use if someone attacks on you. You can temporarily injure the person and escape from the place
The official term for a taser or stun-gun is actually simply an “electroshock weapon”.
The first electroshock weapon, in the form of a glove, was developed in 1935 by Ciril Diaz in Cuba, but it wasn’t until 1974 when American Jack Cover, a NASA researcher, unveiled his “taser”.
The taser was a big evolution in terms of electroshock weaponry. After multiple iterations it eventually evolved into the Nova XR-500, the first non-projectile hand-held electroshock weapon, in the form factor of a “gun” which was already well-known by police and security forces.
Type of Stun Guns Explained
Since then the humble stun gun has bred many offshoots in terms of both form and function.
For example, the form factor has shifted continuously, to the point that today there are stun guns that look like guns, that look like phones, that look like lipstick and everything in between.
Being able to conceal your stun weapon is great for self-defense, and the compact nature of many of these devices makes them highly portable, another attribute for a quality self defense weapon.
There are also prods, essentially stun guns on sticks, stun belts, which is a circular shaped device that can be attached to prisoners to control their behavior, shields with electrodes on the front for riot containment, and handheld tasers for close quarter apprehension and immobilization.
How Much Damage To Your Brain & Body Do Stun Guns Do?
We’ve all seen the videos of police officers going through training and having one anther shoot them with stun guns so they know what the sensation is like and how it will impact people they are apprehending.
Once common question, particularly around things that involve electricity though, is what is the effect of the electrical charge on the body? Will I die? Will they leave permanent damage?
The video below does a great job explaining the effects of stun-gun usage on the human body:
Stun Gun vs Tasers: What’s the Difference?
Most often than not that these two devices are used interchangeably. But there is significant difference between the duo. The primary difference lies in their range.
Stun guns can shoot in 0 degree range or a direct contact must be made. On the other hand, a Taser gun can shot from 15 ft distance. You need not touch the prongs of the gun to someone’s face or body while shooting.
Also, ease of use is another significant difference. Taser guns can shoot from a distance which is indeed a plus point but you need to make sure that the object is on point, otherwise the gun may miss it.
On the other hand, a stun gun has to be touched with the person so these can aim properly at anyone.
What to Look for When Buying:
If you are looking to invest on a sten gun to keep it as a heritage item or to use it for any secret purpose, you need to know the basics. Here are a few things that you should bear in mind while buying a stun gun.
- Hidden or obvious form – Nowadays, with the advancement of technology, various devices are invented that hide a stun gun. One of such a common device is a false camera. Though these look like a camera, actually it’s a sten gun. If you are on a secret mission, such a hidden form can be beneficial for you. However if you want to preserve in the most antique form of the stun gun, you need to ensure that these are properly curated.
- Size – Size of the stun gun too matters the most. A large sized stun gun may not be easy to handle but these are indeed the best as a showpiece.
- Battery size – As the size of the battery of stun gun increases, these become more powerful. If you are looking to invest on a gun for self defence, this is the best pick for you.
- Battery life – Before purchasing a stun gun, make sure to learn the battery life of the device. If the battery life is substantial, you need not recharge it every now and then.
- Voltage power – Likewise, you should also keep an eye on the voltage power of the gun so as to learn how much charge you have to give it to keep it active.
- Annoy or incapacitate – The capacity of the gun is important if you want to use it for defence or on a secret mission.
- Legality – We already discussed that there are various types of stun gun. But not all of these are legal. Get your hands on the legal papers of the gun to stay on the safer side.
- Self defence – Stun guns have a radical use in self defence. But you must make sure that you have proper license.
So, by this point, you’ve probably already either decided stun guns are for you or you need something else.
If you ARE looking to acquire a stun gun or taser for personal use we have scoured the web to find the highest quality, best selling and most highly rated products available for over-the-counter purchase.
We realize there are more powerful options with extended feature sets, but these are largely restricted to law enforcement, prison wardens and military personnel, and for that reason we didn’t include those in this list as they are quite difficult for regular citizens to procure.
1. Best Overall Stun Gun for Women & Self Defense
Vipertek BTS 979
- Powerful Stun Gun With LED Flashlight and Safety Disable Pin
- Convenient Size 6 point 5 x 2 x 1 inches
- Internal Rechargeable Battery No expensive batteries to buy Please make sure the unit is fully charged before attempting to use it The unit only comes with a test charge at the factory and it may not be enough power to fully...
- It comes with LED flashlight as well as a safety disable pin
- It has a convenient size of 5x2x1 inches.
- It has internal rechargeable battery so you need not buy batteries every now and then.
- It has a non slip rubber coating.
- It has a chargeable battery so you need to only recharge it
- It has a LED flashlight so you can use it during the night
- It has a proper size for anyone to easily hold and shoot
- It has a safety switch that enables you to avoid any accident.
- You need to run two steps before the gun starts to work. The slider switch has to be slid and then press the round button.
Most Affordable Entry level Stun Gun for General Deterrence
Vipertek VTS 880
- Powerful Mini Stun Gun With LED Flashlight
- Compact Size, Conceals Easily (2" x 7/8" x 4") - Slips easily into a pocket or purse
- Internal Rechargeable Battery - No expensive batteries to buy
- It can be concealed easily as it has 2x8x4 inches size
- It has a lifetime warranty.
- It comes with an internal rechargeable battery
- It has a chargeable battery so you need not change it from time to time
- It has a LED flashlight so you can use it during the dark
- It has a compact size for anyone to hide it in purse or pocket
- It comes with a lifetime warranty
- These are not ideal if you are on an adventurous mission. However, these can be fine for any secret mission as you can hide it in the pocket or purse.
Most Powerful Heavy Duty Option
VIPERTEK VTS 989
- PROFESSIONAL SELF DEFENSE EQUIPMENT: Powerful heavy duty stun gun flashlight combination. Delivers painful stoppping power and backed by a Lifetime Warranty.
- SNATCH PREVENTION TECHNOLOGY: Shock plates on the side of the stun gun will shock an attacker if they attempt to take the gun from you; Contoured grip aids hand alignment making it easy to use and control.
- INTERNAL RECHARGEABLE BATTERY: Our stun gun simply plugs into a standard wall outlet for a complete recharge. No Batteries needed! Charging cord included.
- It has snatch prevention feature so if someone tries to snatch it, you can press the button to give him or her electric shock.
- It has a non slip rubber coating
- Its sharp spike helps to penetrate through even any thick clothing
- Its snatch prevention mode is ideal for self defence. If the assailant or a thief tries to snatch it from you all you need is to press the button and give the person a high voltage shock.
- You need not spend bucks on buying batteries as these are rechargeable
- It comes with non slip rubber grip
- It has an intimidating whining sound while getting charged
Law Enforcement Style Shooting Taser Gun
- SELF-DEFENSE: The TASER Pulse is ideal for self-defense beginners. This bundle includes (1) TASER Pulse, (2) replaceable cartridges, (2) easy-to-replace CR123A batteries, and (1) conductive target. Cartridges contain a primer, gas...
- FEATURES: The Pulse includes a built-in high visibility flashlight, targeting laser, sloped trigger guard, angled mechanical sights, and shaved safeties.
- LIGHTWEIGHT & DURABLE: Weighing just 8 ounces, the TASER Pulse housing is made from a high-impact polymer (known for its incredible durability) ensuring the internal of the TASER Pulse remain functional while also having a...
- It is equipped with a laser LED
- It has 2 live cartridges
- Its battery pack has lithium power magazine
- You can reach an attacker from a distance of 15 ft with this gun.
- You can immobilize your attacker for 30 seconds which is enough time for you to escape
- It cannot penetrate through thick clothing
Dual Combo Tactical Flashlight and Taser Multi-purpose Security Option
VIPERTEK VTS 195
- VIPERTEK VTS-195 Stun Gun
- Aircraft Grade Aluminum Alloy Construction
- Built in LED Flashlight
- It has inbuilt LED flashlight
- It has an aircraft grade aluminium construction
- It has a sturdy packaging
- It is a professional item
- It weighs a bit (12 ounces) more than the rest of the items
Light Weight Jogger/Runner Stun Gun
POLICE palm-carry mini stun gun
No products found.
- Self Protection for Walking, jogging, and biking
- It’s 1.6 micro coulombs charge
- It has a sharp prongs for jabbing
- It fits around your finger so it can not be easily snatched from you
- Lifetime warranty
- It has a good grip so you can keep it to yourself without losing
- It has LED flashlight to see in dark
- It is ideal for walking and jogging
- You have to wear it on two fingers and you may feel uncomfortable to wear it for a long time while jogging
Best Disguised/Concealed Option 1: Fake Cellphone
StreetWise Cellphone Stun Gun
- The Most Realistic Cell/Smart Phone Stun Gun on the Market
- Powerful Discrete Protection. Slim, Easy to Use Design
- Rechargeable, Micro USB Charging Cord Included
- It is a smart phone like sten gun
- It has loud ear piercing alarm and you can notify others if someone attacks you
- It has a micro USB charger to recharge the battery
- You can easily hide these as they look like a cell phone
- Make sure not to use it as a phone while on a rush!
- Best disguised or concealed stun gun option 2: cell phone case for real phone
Best Disguised/Concealed Option 2: Cell Phone Case for Real Smartphones
- The world's only high voltage zapper and smartphone case in one! Yellow Jacket is a high voltage zapper concealed inside an iPhone case
- It has a multi function design and you can use it as cell phone accessory
- It’s safe and easy to use
- It is ideal for self defence
- It has a long durability
- You can easily hide it as your smart phone’s cover
- This is a durable and sturdy product
- You need to be cautious so as not to hurt yourself!
- Most powerful neuro muscular incapacitation professional grade authentic TASER brand
Most Powerful Neuromuscular Incapacitation Professional-grade TASER
TASER X2 professional series
- Neuro-Muscular Incapacitation (NMI) limiting muscular control for 5 seconds
- 15-Foot safety range gives you ample space to make a safe escape ; Legal to Own, Legal to Carry–no license needed in most states
- Immediate Back-Up shot - no need to re-load. Contains conductive practice target
- True to its name it has a professional outlook
- It can load 2 cartridges at a time
- It allows you to shoot from 500 firings
- Its integrated LED light helps you to illuminate the dark surrounding
- It has a professional look
- You cannot easily hide it
Legality of Stun Guns
Before purchasing a stun gun you need to be cautious about the legality of usage. The biggest manufacturer of stun guns actually has a great resource that breaks down laws by state here.
We want to remind you of a few things to take into consideration as well:
State laws – You shouldn’t use it on any animal or random people. You cannot use it to affect others. However, you may use it to protect yourself. And you need to produce enough evidence for the reasons of using it. Also, every time you purchase the cartridge, these will be identified with your license no. So you can be easily tracked.
Workplace rules – You cannot use anything to affect your colleagues. However, if you are molested or some other way threatened, you may use it. But we recommend you to better shoot the entire situation in a camera as an evidence. Also, you will be under CCTV coverage so your activities will be tracked.
Flying or travelling with sten guns – Travelling with sten guns or any other weapons are completely barred. You may even get punished for hiding any such devices.
We hope you have received a comprehensive idea about stun guns. Let us know your thoughts. Which one is your favorite? Comment below!
Last update on 2021-04-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API