What is Kevlar? Kevlar is a strong and heat resistant synthetic fibre. It is related to various other aramids like Technora and Nomex.
How was Kevlar invented?
The product was produced by Stephanie Kwolek in 1965 at Dupont. It was first used during the early 1970s for replacing the steel in racing tires.
Stephanie Kwolek – the Polish American chemist invented poly paraphenylene terephthalamide. She anticipated a gasoline shortage and produced this item for replacing the contemporary material. Later on her group started to search a new lightweight yet strong fibre for using in tires.
After long research the modern form of Kevlar was invented during 1971. However she was not much preoccupied with the modern applications of Kevlar.
Technology / Why it’s so strong
Kevlar is as strong as steel though it is made of plastic! This is due to the fact that Kevlar is a man made material that has a strong and circular molecular basis which connects together to make a long chain. This molecular strength lends a higher durability to Kevlar.
Though it has eight times higher strength than a steel wire, it is quite lightweight. Kevlar can withstand an extreme temperature. It also resists any effects of sea, salt, and other naturally made chemicals that can intrude various performance over the time.
Practical Uses for Kevlar
- Motorcycle riding – Since Kevlar is a strong element, it is used for gloves, padding, jeans and other accessories for motorbike riders. These are better and durable than the ordinary accessories. Also, these have a slippery body so these are waterproof as well. You don’t have to buy accessories time and again as these durable products run for a long time.
- Dirt bikes – Kevlar jeans or products are easily cleanable. So these are the most suitable for adventure enthusiasts or bikers. You can easily wash these and these materials don’t take a long time to dry. Also, these don’t catch mud and you can easily clean the dry dust. So if you are planning for a long biker trip, this is a good investment.
- Racing – Kevlar is used for racing as it is durable and strong item. So you can rest assured that these won’t let any injury occur to you easily.
Tactical & Law Enforcement
- Protection from knives – If you are not much acquainted with chopping and cutting, you should take proper precaution while handling knives. Kevlar gloves come in handy during this time. This has a good grip yet sturdy enough that resists knife to get into it and cut your hands.
Fashion & Apparel
Kevlar has also found a wide range of applications in the fashion industry. This is popular among various fashion designers. Here are a few of that:
- Pants – Kevlar made pants have various variety. From trouser to jeans – there are multiple types available from several designing house. Since Kevlar itself is a shiny item, any colour on it looks extremely vibrant. From a trendy modern appeal to a retro look – Kevlar can serve it all!
- Shoe laces – Gone are the days of thin cottons used for shoe laces. These were not enough sturdy and quite vulnerable to water. Kevlar made shoe laces are sturdy and fashionable as well.
Kevlar made products are also used in security and battlefield.
- Vest – Kevlar made jackets or vest are bullet proof and these are extremely popular.
- Helmet – Kevlar is also used in producing helmet. These are stronger than steel so it protects your head from any injury in case of any accident. On the other hand, these are quite lightweight so you won’t feel dizzy or extra pressure on your head.
Top Kevlar Products of 2020
V-MODA Crossfade 2 Headphones with Kevlar Cord
- Crossfade's award-winning signature sound both in wireless mode via Bluetooth technology and wired mode for pure analog and zero latency essential for gamers and DJs. Connectivity Technology: Wireless; "Sound isolating" will not...
- Built-in hidden microphone specially tuned and optimized for phone calls and voice recognition. With a breathable vegan leather and 3D mesh exterior
- Lithium-ion battery provides up to 12 hours of continuous music, entertainment and calls, recharge it to 100% in 100 minutes thanks to the included elegant V-Micro USB cable; unlimited hours of music in analog wired mode
It offers proper connectivity – Connectivity is an important feature for headphones. This is even better in wired headset. Here a signal transmission is proper. A Kevlar material doesn’t cause any interruption in the connectivity.
It develops greater quality. Depending on the design, the cord produces a greater usability. It fits properly to one’s ears and doesn’t fall off the users’ ears. It ensures everyone’s comfort. It has to be durable like steel or aluminium. The cables have to be covered with Kevlar material to make sure that the headphone cord is tangle free and robust.
It has greater audio performance – Sometimes in ordinary headphones, the wire tears within a few months. But a Kevlar cord is strong and runs for a long time. The bass has to be deep and of high quality, Indeed a Kevlar has nothing to do with the external features. Nevertheless a sturdy cord makes sure to protect the internal items. Also, the driver diameter ensures that the sound is warm, rich, and crisp. Also, a noise cancellation technology is crucial for such earphone. A heavy Kevlar cord further enhances user experience.
It has more or less 100 ft or more Bluetooth connectivity.
- A shining and colourful Kevlar cord is fashionable.
- Kevlar is a sturdy material so it can protect the internal features properly.
- The material is strong and doesn’t tear like ordinary headphones.
- It is durable and fits properly to the users’ ears.
- It offers greater connectivity. So it offers a greater user experience.
- It may be pricier than the ordinary ones. But given all the facilities you get, we cannot really blame the price.
Puncture Resistant ROCKROOSTER Kevlar Boots
Kevlar is a sturdy material that is used for boots that can resist puncture. These are also waterproof and heat resistant. So people working in factory, construction site or army can use it.
No products found.
These boots are perfect for the people working in construction sites, army, factory environment, and industrial kitchen.
Kevlar made boots have high strength yet lightweight. So you can easily wear it and work comfortably.
It has multiple resistance features. For instance it is chemical and acid resistance. Acid base or any other chemicals cannot melt holes in the material and penetrate into your skin.
It also protects against electric shock and other hazards. It also has an insulating layer that protects the current to get into your feet.
It is waterproof and you can wear it easily in construction site.
This is a heat resistant boot and keeps your sole comfortable.
It has a rubber toe that is better than the steel toe. It imparts greater durability to the boot.
- These are more flexible and lightweight than the steel midsoles.
- These are visible while removing the internal sole.
- These are more comfortable to wear.
- It has good temperature, and abrasion, as well as cut resistance.
- This is ideal for protecting the wearer against the thick penetrating object such as rocks.
- These don’t set off in the metal detectors.
- This is water, heat, and electric shock resistant. It also provides proper acid and chemical base resistance to the boot and offers greater comfort to the wearer.
- It may be a bit pricier than the ordinary ones but given the benefits of the boot, we cannot undermine the price.
Pelican Shield Kevlar Phone Case
Phone case needs to be strong enough to protect the phone from being damaged. And Kevlar is an amazing material for this.
- Military grade rugged protection - made of Kevlar brand fibers which is 8X stronger than Steel wiring to make the cell phone case more impenetrable and to protect the phone
- Military drop Tested - Tested to 3X the drops and 3X the height that MIL-STD 810G military testing mandates.
- Features - easy-to-use holster and swiveling belt clip and kickstand and multiple latches to lock and secure the case and protect yoru cell phone. Compatible with most 3 party glass screen protectors
Carbon fiber cases can drastically block your phone signal. Instead of that, a Kevlar material can keep a strong connectivity. This doesn’t easily get heated. However, sometimes nosey people may find a weird smell in it, which is just the smell of Kevlar.
- It is readily available
- It generally has a low price
- It is fashionable and it can be decorated and customized easily.
- It is enough durable.
- It is lightweight and provides enough protection.
- These don’t get easily heated. So you can use phone for a long time.
- It has a strange smell and may not be suitable for everyone.
- It requires a cushioning material to protect it from breakage.
Civilian Brand Kevlar Wallet
Kevlar is rapidly being used in various productions and wallet is one of them.
No products found.
Civilians liberal use of Kevlar offers high durability to the wallet, making it even more rugged and durable than leather.
These are waterproof and has a flexibility
Though these have a sturdy nature, yet they look expensive and of high quality and feel quite soft to touch
These are fashionable and available in various price
- These are waterproof
- These cannot be detected by metal detector.
- These have high quality outlook.
- These are not much expensive yet it has a highly expensive outlook
- These can be personalized easily.
- It has multiple windows and you can store a lot of documents and money in it.
- If you have a turn for true lather, this may not earn your favour.
ScorpionExo Protective Kevlar Motorcycle Jac-Shirt
Kevlar is also a common material used for shirt and jacket of motorcyclists.
- Classic cotton/poly flannel outer material. 165G DuPont Kevlar lining
- Quilted polyester lining
- Mesh Pockets on elbows, shoulders, and back for optional sas-tec CE certified armor
These are lightweight and quite flexible so ideal for riders. They can comfortably breathe inside the vest.
These are waterproof and can be used in heat and rain. These are also easily washable and you can easily clean them.
- These are quite durable and offer protection – much required for the riders.
- These are fashionable in outlook.
- These are lightweight and enough flexible for riders. They can comfortably let them breathe inside the jacket.
- These are waterproof and can be used alike during heat and rain. These are also washable and you can easily clean them.
- These may feel hot inside the jacket since these are quite heavy. You may feel sweaty inside it.
NoCry Cut Resistant Kevlar gloves
Safety gloves are quite popular these days and Kevlar is a nice material for this.
- 4x stronger than leather: Our cut resistant, highly durable gloves give you EN388 level 5 cut resistance. In other words, they’re made of the highest level of cut resistant material you can get on the market.
- 100% food safe: Use your cut resistant gloves when you’re shucking oysters, cutting up your meat for dinner, dicing vegetables, using the potato slicer or the mandolin. Protect your hands, feel like a masterchef and give your...
- Ambidextrous: Get a pair of knife resistant gloves that fit either hand perfectly… like a glove. Fab for men, women, kids and everyone responsible enough to handle a knife to slice some vegetables or fillet a fish. And the grip...
Kevlar gloves provide a top notch function and design. These are used in variety of products. The cut protection level ranges from ANSI A1 to A9. You can also choose from multiple leather or string knit items ranging from 7 to 13 gauge.
Some of the options include seamless, nylon lined, fine gauge, string knits, leather palms during greater abrasion resistance, composite blend for cut resistance knits, palm coated for a good grip in oil, and PVC dotted Kevlar gloves for superior grip for glass and metal and even other combinations.
- These offer superior abrasion resistance
- These have good grip
- These are available to meet multiple requirements so you can easily choose your pick as per your demand.
- If you are not acquainted with wearing a gloves while cutting or chopping, you may have a tough time to get acquainted.
Lancer Tactical MH Ballistic Helmet
Kevlar aramid is a common ingredient used while producing tactical helmets.
These tactical helmets are in use in military right since 1980s.
Typically produced by Aramid Kevlar fibres, these are sometimes known as k pot.
These are bulletproof and yet lightweight.
- These helmets are lightweight so the wearers can walk and run and accomplish other tasks quite comfortably. Since these are mostly used in military, so this is an important feature.
- These are bulletproof.
- These have a sturdy design.
- These can be designed in various colours. So if the army has to disguise in a forest, it can be coloured in such a way to match the colour of the forest.
- The front portions of such helmets are open and it can be a potential threat to the army.
Rayplex Kevlar Tape
Kevlar has a wide usage in producing tape.
- Excellent thermal & dimensional stability
- Performs with no strength loss up to temperatures of 320°F for extended periods.
- Lighter in weight than E-Glass with specific strengths.
Kevlar has an outstanding thermal property. This is also dimensionally stable and heat resistant. The tape can perform adequately up to the high temperature of 320 degree F for a long duration.
This is lighter in weight than any E glass.
It is sensitive to direct Ultra Violet lights.
- It is lighter than any E glass material.
- It is heat resistant and thermally stable.
- It is sensitive to direct UV rays.
Hope you have received a comprehensive overview of the entire usage, properties and benefits of Kevlar. If you are about to buy any of these items, you may consider Kevlar as the potential material.
Which one is your pick? Comment below and let us know.
Last update on 2021-09-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API