Sea scooters are most commonly used in summer. There are varieties of brands and models available. But this can make you confusing and it becomes difficult to choose the right model.
So, you need to list out your needs first and then start checking for the best sea scooter. It can be the battery life, top speed, weight, or it can also max depth there are many more important things to look for in a sea scooter.
- Simplified user-friendly design for quick and simple use. Streamlined and symmetrical design. Universal interface compatible with almost sports cameras which can be mounted to record everything under water in a most direct view....
- Portable small size with large energy. The total weight of 3.5kgs makes it easy to carry without any troubles during travelling, double thrusters release 8kgf thrust to explore the world underwater.
- Easy use in a safe range. Provided with a floater to achieve zero buoyancy and the propellers are designed with a safe protective net to prevent fingers from accidental injury.
- Compact underwater scooter, designed to fit in your airplane carry-on, Compatible with Go Pro/ LED Light Mount
- Powerful motor can bring you to dive to 164 ft. depth, dual thrusters provide up to 26lbs power, reaching 4 mph swimming and diving experience
- Long-lasting removable battery performs up to 45 mins running time in the water and takes only 1. 5-hour refilling it with full power
- DUAL-MOTOR: The world’s FIRST DUAL-MOTOR underwater scooter. Innovative design features the perfect combination of propulsion and stability. Private family time in the pool! Now even the kids can have a great time for some fancy...
- REVOLUTIONARY PERFORMANCE: Exciting upgrades, doubling the battery life with fast charge, the WhiteShark MIX PRO can now remarkably run for 60 mins & fast charging within just 2 hours. Propel at a remarkable speed, the WhiteShark...
- SAFE & STABLE: Mix Pro adds the Low Battery Alert function for your safety, once it's alerted, please approach to some place safe immediately. It also design a floater to achieve zero buoyancy and design the propellers to have a...
You may be looking for some other unique feature. All you need to do is list out some sea scooter models by considering all these features and then choose the best model.
Some people may look for simple scooters to use in their pools. But there are some who expect professional models. Irrespective of your needs, we will guide you with choosing the best sea scooter for next summer.
If you are really crazy about snorkeling and diving then you may have to look for professional models. Most of the sea scooter models available work well in pools.
There are models available for kids as well. For older kids, there are pro models available like adults. The majority of the sea scooters come with rechargeable batteries and others with chargers.
Irrespective of the battery, they are mostly operated using finger throttles. Most of the sea scooters available today are easy to use and need less assistance.
What Are Sea Scooters?
“Seascooters” are actually technically called “Diver Propulsion Vehicles” or DPVs for short. They can also be referred to as “Swimmer Delivery Vehicles” or SDVs for short.
In simple words, sea scooters are a type of scooter that you can ride in the water. These scooters help you in moving you forward in the water.
When using these sea scooters, drivers should be holding the handles of the scooter and he should allow the scooter to pull him forwards. The usual speed is 9 mph and this may vary depending on the model.
Even without having a scooter you can enjoy the underwater world. But it can be tarrying. So, sea scooters can help you in exploring the underwater without making any effort.
Sea scooters are best suitable for people who love adventures with water. If you are looking for an adrenaline boost, then this is the right choice for you. Some scooters can also be used by children.
So, everything depends on the model. Sea scooters can be utilized for both commercial and technical applications. Sea scooters make so many things possible like you can reach far away reefs and it’s a great experience.
Practical uses for DPV/SDVs
Underwater scooters are used for varieties of driving preferences. So, choosing the sea scooter depends on your needs and where you want to use these scooters. Hence you should be picking the model based on their future applications.
There is no need to buy top range or high-end models if you are a beginner and you want to try shallow dives, short dives, and snorkeling.
But, if you are willing to buy professional models then there are sea scooters that can reach the depth of 165 feet or more.
So, what you can do with these underwater scooters. Of course, they are for fun and entertainment. They are mainly designed for adventure lovers.
But there are other uses of underwater scooters as well. They can be used to study sea animals by diving in depth. There are many professional models that help you with going deep down the sea.
So, along with diving and snorkeling, you can do many things with these underwater scooters. Not only in the sea but can you also enjoy these sea scooters in your pool as well.
Children like underwater scooters and you can choose the model which is suitable for them. Riding with sea scooter is really a great experience.
Important features to consider when buying a dive scooters
There are many things to consider before buying a sea scooter. The most important thing that you should consider is, why are you buying this sea scooter for?
It is very important that you make some research before choosing a model. You need to look for features like its battery life, weight, speed, depth capacity and many more. Along with all these, you should be clear about the budget a well.
Here are some questions you need to ask yourself before even buying a sea scooter for yourself.
- What is the depth you expect?
- Do you want a lightweight model>?
- Speed variation is necessary?
- You want to go alone or some diver is coming along with you?
- What is the charge time of the scooter?
- How long will you use it?
Apart from these, there are many more things to consider. If you want your children to use the same sea scooter then you should check for ease of use as well. Stopping capabilities should e good enough if you are giving the same scooter for your children. Once you answer all these questions, it becomes easy for you to pick the right model.
Run time and battery life
Generally, the scooter models available today last for 30 minutes – 4 hours underwater. So, that is a wide range and you should choose the battery capacity based on your needs.
If you are using once in a while and just for a ride then low battery capacity models are enough.
For the majority of the dives battery capacity of 2 hours is sufficient. More than that, these are budget-friendly models and they are best to start with.
There are 30 minutes models which are enough for shallow dives and snorkeling. These models are available for a very low price and you can consider them as cheaper options.
If you want to buy spare batteries, then it will definitely increase the weight. The most important thing to consider is, when the battery undergoes more and more charge cycles, it reduces the run time.
Buoyancy: Positive vs Negative
Buoyancy options are unique for each scooter. So, you need to check these options before buying these scooters. There are some scooters that are set either for positive or negative buoyancy.
But there are many models which offer buoyancy settings. In this case, you can set and alter the settings available.
For beginners, negative buoyancy scooter models are not recommended. The main reason behind this is, these models may pull the divers down which could be distressing/alarming.
So, beginners should probably go for positive buoyancy lanyard models.
Even in case of positive buoyant, scooters may pull up sometimes and the diver may feel it very difficult to control.
The sea scooters are technologically advanced models and maintenance is definitely not easy. You will not be able to maintain them and hence it is better to pick the models which have enough warranty.
In the meantime you should also make sure that if something goes wrong, you have the service center in a reachable place. If there is no facility nearby then, it is not a good option to pick that model.
It is very important to read all the safety instructions before start using the scooter. This will help in avoiding all kinds of damages that may happen when diving.
After each and every use make sure to rinse it in clean water (non salt water/non clorinated water) and store it properly. Routine maintenance may be required for lead-acid batteries.
Hence it is better to go for Lithium-ion types. They are preferable even though they are considerably more expensive.
Best Sea Scooters & SDVs of 2020
Here is a list of best sea scooters you can consider buying. These are the best models with considerable price and best features.
Best scooter for recreation & why
If you are in search of a sea scooter for recreation purposes, that is not diving past 20 ft. in depth, not needing super-long batter life, and ideally you are looking for something light and portable. If that’s you, then YAMAHA or SEA-DOO are the best brands for you
YAMAHA RDS250 vs RDS300 Seascooters
This is a two-speed sea scooter and this is the right model for underwater exploration. This scooter is lightweight and very easy to ride. It features a removable buoyancy control chamber.
- YAMAHA RDS250 SEASCOOTER – Delivers a perfect balance of run time and speed. Rated to a depth of 100ft (30m) the RDS250 will cruise at speeds up to 2. 5mph (4km/h)
- FEATURING – A run time up to 2 hours and the RDS250 is perfect vehicle for back to back dive days
- WATERPROOF CONSTRUCTION - Prevents accidental flooding is impact resistant heavy duty rubber hull protection
This is specifically designed for saltwater. When you are using this sea scooter you can keep your focus completely on the scenery along with conserve energy for more time below the surface.
This Yamaha scooter offers a runtime of 60 mins. But this can go up to 3.1 miles per hour.
This is the best choice for recreation since you can reach all those awesome dive spots using this scooter in the quickest possible time. You can also spend more time navigating the depths.
- YAMAHA RDS300 SEASCOOTER - Is lightweight and powerful. Designed to cruise at speeds up to 3. 0mph (4. 8km/h) the RDS300 will allow you to maximize your underwater dive experience
- FEATURING – 2 - level rotational speed control system provides speeds up to 3 mph / 4. 8 km/h, a depth rating of 100ft (30m) with a run time up to 1. 5 hours with normal use
- WATERPROOF CONSTRUCTION - Prevents accidental flooding is impact resistant heavy duty rubber hull protection
There is a camera assembly as well in this scooter. This helps in fixing the mountable camera to sit properly and capture all the actions.
When you are cruising down, your camera will capture all the great shots. This sea scooter also comes with waterproof construction circuitry and casing. This helps in preventing accidental flooding making maintenance easy.
- Lightweight model
- Designed uniquely for saltwater
- It also comes with a camera mount
- This sea scooter has waterproof casing and circuitry and hence maintenance is easy
- The performance is not as expected
- This is meant for experienced divers
Best scooter for kids & why
If you are looking for a sea scooter model for kids then here is the best model.
YAMAHA Seal vs Explorer Kids Seascooters
This is the best sea scooter model if you want to use it for recreational activities. This is mainly designed for offering family water fun and entertainment.
One key feature to look for in sea scooters for kids is the option for mounting an underwater camera like a GoPro to capture all your kids adventures.
- YAMAHA SEAL SCOOTER - Designed for family fun in the pool, packs a thrust speed of up to 2mph / 3. 2km/h, rated for 15ft / 4. 6m running depths with a run time up to 1. 5 hours with normal use
- SAFETY FEATURES – Include an auto shutoff, dual-trigger control, caged propeller casing the Seal is a must for every child, or child at heart
- WATERPROOF – Construction, positive buoyancy, meaning the Seal Scooter will float, total weight 12 lbs. Scooter size: 11. 25x 11. 25 x 19 inch
You can consider this sea scooter as a family adventure scooter and it is rated for a depth of 15 ft. You can dive with a speed of 2 mph with this scooter.
This model is specifically designed for family fun and it is best suitable for kids. It offers a maximum of 1.5 hours of run time when used in for normal use.
Since it comes with compact design it is comfortable for kids. All kinds of safety features are included in this sea scooter.
There are safety grill and auto-shut-off as well. It also offers a dual trigger operation.
- YAMAHA EXPLORER SEASCOOTER- This is an entry-level model Sea scooter with cruising at speeds up to 2. 5mph (4km/h) with a depth rating of 30ft (10m) perfect for shallow dives, snorkeling adventures or chasing fish
- POSITIVE BUOYANCY - The Sea scooter is designed for use in salt water and will have less buoyancy in fresh water and may slowly sink if used in fresh bodies of water
- SAFETY FEATURES – Include an auto-shutoff, dual-trigger control, caged propeller casing, Weight 11. 5 lbs / 5. 2 kg including battery, size: 11. 77” x 11. 10” x 20. 5”
Most importantly, this is a positive buoyancy sea scooter and it is best for beginners as there is no danger of being pulled down and without control the machine will automatically float. The total weight of this scooter unit is 12 lbs.
Scooter size is 11.25x 11.25 x 19 inches and battery included.
- Best choice for family fun
- This can also be used by kids
- All the necessary safety features are included
- Battery life is not as expected
- Less durable than other more “professional” models
Best DPV/SDV for professional divers & why
If you are looking for a professional scuba scooter, then we have the best recommendation for you.
TUSA SAV-7 Underwater Scooter
This is one of the pro models in sea scooters and this can propel a maximum of three scuba divers at once. This sea scooter comes in a special design and it is meant for professional divers.
- Underwater scooter designed to propel up to 3 scuba divers at once
- Progressive acceleration system lets you make speed adjustments on the move
- Saddle wings help scooter pull 3 divers without noticeable performance dropoff
This scooter offers a progressive acceleration system. Because of this, you can make speed adjustments on the move. The saddle wings present can easily pull three divers.
This is meant for professionals because even when it pulls three divers at once there will not be any noticeable performance drop off. So, there is no need to worry about its performance and it can be easily opted by professional divers.
The 3-speed propeller adjustments present get adjusted for three different angles and pitches. There is an LED battery indicator and it can offer a maximum speed of 2.6 miles per hour. The depth of this sea scooter is rated to 230 feet.
2nd Best Professional Option: YAMAHA 500Li
Yamaha has been in the dive scooter business as long as anyone. In fact, with SEA-DOO and TUSA it is one of the most well-respected and popular brands within the outdoor photographer professional community.
When you buy with Yamaha you know you are getting a good product as they put a lot of R&D into everything they make, from pianos to motorcycles to yes, even dive scooters.
- Offers the highest depth rate of 230 ft
- LED battery indicator for better guidance
- Three-speed propeller adjustments
- It is not neutrally buoyant
- Only for professional divers so higher price point
Final Things to Consider & Reasons to Buy a Underwater Scooter
There are many reasons for an underwater scooter. It is useful in many ways. If you are an adventure lover then underwater scooters can bring more fun in your life.
Before choosing a model, you need to consider the speed, settings, battery life, buoyancy, and budget.
More than anything the model should be chosen based on your experience and future applications. T
here are different models available for children, for recreation, and there are models for professionals. So, you need to choose the underwater scooter as per your needs.
Last update on 2021-01-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API